25/10/2007


This ain't something new! I have had innumerable discussions about a topic which has become cliche and still dusted out of the cob-webs to play with again! What do you prefer? Football that brings you trophies, awards, medals or football that is simply beautiful. If we take a real-life example, we have Chelsea football club producing the former brand and Arsenal Football Club showing off with the later. (But, this year it is a different story with Arsenal, they are producing breath-taking football as well as leading their group in UEFA Champions League and topping the table till now in domestic league, i.e. the Barclays English Premier League)

When I talk or chat or argue with fellow football enthusiast, in recent times, (I have developed a strange kind of arrogance in me(And sorry, I can't help it...I know a little too much about the game, so u see the arrogance has come naturally)) I tend to take them or kind of 'brainwash' 'em to enter my domain, to accept my footballing views, to press a 'OK' on my book of footballing thoughts! And yet, there are people(friends) who stand up to their views and i do respect their opinions(I didn't say 'agree!' ;-) ). Lets leave the rambling apart and come to the point.

The football that i love to watch must be eye-catching, some showboating (Yeah, Hleb, Ronaldo does provide me those!) must be instilled into the game. I love short-pass games with plenty of possession and waiting for that 'oh-dat-was-cool-how-did-he-find-a-space' killer through ball that finally adds a numerical to the scoreboard. At the end of the day, when you go to sleep, you feel proud to support such a team and feel 'good' about it. Arsenal gives me that kind of pleasure. In the past two seasons, they didn't get home a single silverware, but still i thoroughly enjoyed their game! You can never bat an eye-lid when Wenger unleashes his men(or boys rather) into The Emirates green and they play such rhythmic football. Every pass is played with perfection, every shot is taken with a label of class stamped on it. (At least, The Invincibles of the 2002-03 team knows exactly about this! There was nothing wrong about 'em! Oh boy, I miss Thierry, Patrick and Pires, but wth, Wenger has again started moulding 3 his boys into those 3 stalwarts i mentioned!)
Another brand of football would be the one shown day in and day out by Chelsea or Bolton Wanderers. They would be very strong in the defence aspect but attacking-wise, these teams prefer long balls bombarded into forwards and expecting some 'magic' to be done! I absolutely loathe such football, they may win you trophies, but not 'hearts'! :)

At the end of the day, when those 60,000 'tired' fans reach home and their wives and children ask 'em, "Who won, dear?"...the retort should be "The game of football won!" *with a smile*

PS: This blog was written to just 'dust off' a period of 'no-writing', so basically its 'please-forget-it-blabbering'! Arsenal won their recent CL game, 7-0 (well, thats another reason! :D )

PPS: The opinion expressed in this blog is completely mine and I mean no offense to great football clubs like Bolton or Chelsea!

No comments: